Xiaotao Yang (杨晓涛)
|Research: Seismic Velocity Modeling, Seismic Imaging and Interpretation, Geodynamic Modeling, Microseismicity analysis|
Ph.D., Indiana University Bloomington, 2011~2016 (expected)
M.Sc., Institute of Geology and Geophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, 2008~2011
B.Sc., China University of Geosciences (Wuhan), 2004~2008
- Crustal and upper mantle structure using seismological methods. Understanding the velocity structure of the earth's lithosphere and its dynamic mechanisms is the focus of my research. There are several different methods could be applied in this study including seismic travel time tomography, seismic receiver function analysis, seismic ambient noise tomography, surface wave dispersion analysis and some non-seismological methods such as magnetotelluric technique, etc. Seismic travel time tomography is the main method used in my master's study. I am currently using the Plane-Wave Migration (PWMIG) technique developed by Prof. Gary L. Pavlis to study the lithospheric structure underneath the Illinois basin in the central US.
- Geodynamic modeling of long-term crustal and upper mantle deformations. Seismic imaging provides unique constraints on Earth's velocity structures. Geodynamic modeling (a numerical modeling technique) can turn the seismic interpretations into a four-dimensional scenario about the tectonic evolution.
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Yang, X., Pavlis, G., Y. Wang (in press), A Quality Control Method for Teleseismic P-Wave Receiver Functions, Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America
- Yang, X., Pavlis, G., Hamburger, M., Sherrill, E., Gilbert, H., Marshak, S., Rupp, J., Larson, T. (2014), Seismicity of the Ste. Genevieve Seismic Zone based on Observations from the EarthScope OIINK Flexible Array, Seismological Research Letters, 85(6), 1285-1294. pdf
- Y. Xu, X. Yang, J. Liu (2013). Tomographic study of crustal velocity structures in the Yunnan region southwest China, Chinese J. Geophys. (in Chinese), 56(6), 1904-1914. pdf
- Xu, Y., Yang, X, Li, Z., Liu, J. (2012), Seismic structure of the Tengchong volcanic area southwest China from local earthquake tomography, Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, 239-240, 83-91. pdf
- Yang, X., Xu, Y., Liu, J., Li, Z. (2011), Seismic tomography in the Tengchong volcanic area and its tectonic implication. Chinese J. Geophys. (in Chinese), 54(8), 2050-2059. pdf
Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG).
American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG).
American Geophysical Union (AGU).
Indiana University Geophysical Society (IUGS).